Published: 25/08/2021 By Hannah McCormackMillions of couples are benefitting from extra tax relief! Could you be eligible to claim too?
If you are a married couple or in a couple in a civil partnership you could reduce your income tax by £252 a year by sharing your Personal Allowance.
If you are eligible you can use the Marriage Allowance to save on your yearly income tax.
A Marriage Allowance gives married couples or those in a civil partnership the option to share their personal tax allowance when one of the partners earns under £12,570 - their Personal Allowance threshold, and the other one is a basic rate taxpayer. If this is the case the lower earner can transfer 10% of their tax-free allowance to their partner. In the 2021/22 tax year this figure is £1,260 which means a couple can reduce the amount of tax they pay by £252 a year.
If you would like to check if you are eligible go to the HMRC website or click on their link here
HMRC state that couples who may not have been previously eligible may have had a change in circumstances that now means they are eligible for the Marriage allowance such as:
- a recent marriage or civil partnership
- one partner has retired and the other remains working
- a change in employment due to COVID-19
- a reduction in working hours which means their earnings fall below their Personal Allowance
- unpaid leave or a career break, or
- one partner is studying or in education and not earning above their Personal Allowance
For more information read article on the gov website here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/18-million-couples-benefitting-from-extra-tax-relief